This Lamb Rogan Josh recipe has a thick gravy and has just the right amount of spice (but not too much heat), making it a delicious homemade curry.
Making a good rogan josh is all about getting a decent curry paste, which is easy to do with basic store cupboard spices. And, you can use these spices over and over again to make loads of other delicious recipes.
What’s great is that this recipe doesn’t need you to spend ages marinating the meat, so you can get dinner to the table far quicker.
Lamb Rogan Josh
Ditch that takeaway menu and give this a go instead – it’s super easy and you can’t go wrong.
First up, you need to get your lamb rogan josh paste ready. To do this, you measure all your spices out straight into a bowl and mix with some yoghurt.
It’s this point you will start to get mega hungry and the aromas of the spices make you want to eat it now!
However, it’s time to get your lamb cooked.
Fry your onions and add the meat to brown it.
Then stir in your rogan josh paste, cook for a few minutes, then add in the stock and tomato puree.
The curry will start coming together but will need to be cooked through to get your meat tender.
The colour of the curry will turn to a moreish red gravy over time too.
This post contains affiliate links. Find out what this means.
Lamb can be a tough piece of meat, so it’s worth cooking for a longer time. It can still be tender with this curry recipe if you cook it on the hob. However, if you want to cook it in your slow cooker (this is a great slow cook to get if you don’t have one already) then you can adjust the recipe below slightly.
Brown the meat as normal, then put all the ingredients in the slow cooker on low for around 8 hours. Take the lid off and continue cooking for the last 30 minutes to thicken the sauce and stir from time to time to stop it sticking.
WANNA SAVE MORE MONEY ON YOUR SUPERMARKET FOOD BILL?
Come and join our Facebook community, Reduce Your Supermarket Spend.
Join thousands of people who share their best tips and real-life ideas to keep your costs down.
This is now the biggest supermarket community on Facebook!
Lamb Rogan Josh Recipe
- 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ginger fresh or ground
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 bay leaves crushed
- 1 tsp mint
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 600 g lamb leg, fillet or shoulder
- 2 onions chopped
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 1 2" cinnamon stick
- bunch fresh coriander
Lamb rogan josh paste
- In a small bowl, mix the yoghurt, coriander, cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, turmeric, ginger, garlic, crushed bay leaves, mint, tomato puree, (salt and pepper to tastto make a paste.
- In a non-stick pan gently fry the onion, and then add the lamb.
- Once the lamb is browned coat it with the paste and stir through cooking gently for around 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and cinnamon stick then put the lid on and cook until the lamb is tender (approximately 1 hour depending on the cut of lamb).
- Once the lamb is tender remove the lid to allow the sauce to reduced slightly, add fresh coriander cook for another 15 minutes.