Try this quick and tasty tomato and chilli soup recipe that will warm you through and fill you up - just what the doctor ordered.
If you're looking for a warming lunch or a hearty snack, this delicious tomato and chilli soup is just what the doctor ordered.
It's perfect comfort food when it's a little chilly outside, and you just need warming through.
It barely takes any time to make, and there isn't much to it, so I can cook it while making dinner at the same time.
You also just need to use basic store cupboard ingredients, plus a good helping of tomatoes.
Tomatoes are good for your health and contain the antioxidant lycopene, which is what gives tomatoes their stunning red colour. Research shows that lycopene is linked to health benefits like reduced risk of heart disease and lowering "bad" cholesterol (LDL).
They are shown to be better for you if you cook them as it can increase their nutritional value. Eating tomatoes is a great way to boost your vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K intake.
Tomato and chilli soup recipe
This post contains affiliate links. Find out what this means.
Many soup recipes I see now suggest you need to have a fancy soup maker, but I don't see why you need to get another gadget for the kitchen. This tomato and chilli soup cooks perfectly on the hob, and you won't be disappointed 🙂
While you can use tinned tomatoes to make this soup, I prefer to use fresh tomatoes. It does cost a little more to make it from fresh, but the flavours are so worth it!
To make this soup, you need to roast the tomatoes first. Doing this allows the skins of the tomatoes to easily slide off and gives the soup such a deep flavour that you can't get if you use tinned.
However, if you are using tinned tomatoes, skip the roasting step, use two tins and go from there.
This soup stores well in the fridge for around three days, if you're not able to finish it in one sitting.
I often take soup to work in a sealable microwave soup mug, which pops straight into the microwave. It then doubles up as a bowl; however, sometimes I use it as a cup and drink my soup straight from it - yummy!
WANNA SAVE MORE MONEY ON YOUR SUPERMARKET FOOD BILL?
Come and join our Facebook community, Reduce Your Supermarket Spend.
Join thousands of people who share their best tips and real-life ideas to keep your costs down.
This is now the biggest supermarket community on Facebook!
Tomato and Chilli Soup Recipe
- 2 kgs fresh tomatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 chilli deseeded (keep the seeds in if you want extra heat)
- 2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoon tomato puree
- Handful basil optional
- 100 ml double cream
- Place the tomatoes, skin side up, on a large non-stick baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Cook on 200 C/gas mark 6 for approximately 15 minutes until the skins start to turn brown.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and, using a pair of tongs, pinch the top of the skin and gently lift the skins from the tomatoes and discard. If the skins do not come off easily place back in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Evenly sprinkle sugar over the tomatoes and then add the tomatoes along with any juices to a blender. Add the chilli and garlic granules and blend to a smooth consistency.
- In a large saucepan, add your blended tomatoes, vegetable stock, tomatoes puree and chopped basil. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes. When it is nearly ready, add the cream and salt and pepper to taste.