Keep your chicken extra juicy and tender by making stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon. A delicious treat for dinner, or a show stopper to serve friends.
Chicken is a bit of a staple in our house.
But, cooked on their own they can be a little bit boring (sorry chickens).
To pimp up your chicken breast, you only need a few things to take your dinner to a whole new level.
For the full list of ingredients and printable instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. But, before you scroll straight there, take a look at the more detailed “how to” just below.
Chicken wrapped in bacon
Before you can get wrapping, you need to create a tasty filling and prepare your chicken breasts.
You need to cut a slit into the side of each chicken breast. You want to slice a little over halfway, but not all the way through.
This allows you space to fill the chicken.
Stuffing a chicken breast before cooking means it’ll be extra succulent and juicy.
Chicken does tend to go a little dry after baking, but by having a stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon, you’ll get lovely moist chicken.
One thing to be aware of is trying to get each piece of chicken to be the same size. This will mean they cook evenly and at the same time.
If you need to cut a piece of chicken down to size, save the off cuts to use in a chicken dish later in the week to prevent food waste.
Chicken wrapped in bacon is delicious with mash potato and green vegetables but goes lovely with new potatoes too.
WANNA SAVE MORE MONEY ON YOUR SUPERMARKET FOOD BILL?
Come and join our Facebook community, Reduce Your Supermarket Spend.
Come and join thousands of people who share their best tips and real-life ideas to keep your costs down.
This is now the biggest supermarket community on Facebook!
Stuffed Chicken Wrapped in BaconPrint Pin Rate
- 6 chicken breasts £5.70, 95p/breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped 16p each
- 1 tsp olive oil 1p, 10p/100ml
- 150 g mushrooms, finely sliced 48p, 32p/100g
- 1 tsp garlic powder 5p
- 240 g baby spinach £1.50/240g
- 150 g soft cream cheese 37p, 25g/100g
- 3 tsp parmesan 3p, 10p/100g
- 24-30 rashers streaky bacon £3.50, 58p/100g
Butterfly the chicken breasts
- Take a breast, place on its side and cut through a third of the way. Once done open it up and place to one side. Do this to all 6 chicken breasts.
- Fry the onion in oil over a medium heat for about 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic powder and cook for 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for a further 2 minutes to reduce down. Remove from heat and place to one side.
- Place in a bowl the cream cheese, parmesan and mix. Once cooled down add the onions, mushrooms and spinach mix.
- Spoon the mix into the chicken breasts, wrap the filled chicken breasts with streaky bacon. Place on a non-stick roasting tin and cook for 40-45 minutes at 180C until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.